Sunday, August 19, 2012

Ground Cover

The next step in the build was to put down some basic " ground cover ". Even though I had never used this before, I decided to use Woodland Scenics foam ground cover in a medium green. Little did I know that when I sprayed it with a 50/50 mix of water and white glue, that this stuff would fly everywhere.

So, after cleaning-up this stuff, I decided to try again. This time I worked in small areas and used a cheap hairspray to hold the foam in place. Covered the top of the rails, with a ruler, to keep the spray off them. Then I sprayed the hair spray from about 2 feet above the layout. By spraying in this fashion the fixative gently landed on the foam, thereby staying where I had placed it.  I finished the layout with this method and also tried to use the foam somewhat sparingly. Here is how it came out:


Will either add some real dirt or a different colored lichen, or both, to break up the green color. I'm pretty satisfied with this, but I really need to break up the green color to make it look more natural.

We will discuss more on the layout build in the next installment. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment