Saturday, September 8, 2012

The "Critter"

In order to have a proper, functioning layout I needed some sort of motive power. I stripped down a Ho 0-4-0 switcher for the basis for my "Critter". Here's what it looked like with the basic planking for the rear deck and ends re-worked. The pic also shows the 17 inch "fiddle yard":


Next came the hood or bonnet for the front over the motor. The hood is made out of cardboard with small pieces of wood on the inside for bracing and to hold the shape:


The next step was to give the black frame and the ends some weathering to give it the look of heavy usage and many years of service:


The hood is covered with a texture from the internet rescaled and applied with double-stick tape. I'm pretty happy with the look, but I may change the hood covering to make it look even more worn. The rear deck will have to wait for paint and detailing until my "driver" arrives in the mail, then I'll finish the Critter and the weathering.

Well that's it for now until the next installment. Stay tuned. 


No comments:

Post a Comment